(TRINIDAD GUARDIAN) — The Anglican Church is still investigating the fiasco surrounding the StyleWeek Port-of-Spain fashion show at the Trinity Cathedral.
When contacted for an update on the situation yesterday, Bishop of the Anglican Diocese of T&T Reverend Claude Berkley said the church was still compiling information on the incident before making a decision.
“There has been no decision. No decision has yet been made. And the persons involved are pulling their material together. Investigation, as I have indicated, is in progress and it has not been completed,” said the Bishop.
Bishop Berkley, however, remained tight-lipped on the matter yesterday, and preferred that the church came to a firm decision before speaking further on the matter.
“It is a very volatile situation, it has been and probably continues to be and therefore, let me have what is a document or something that indicates where we are,” he said.
The church and the organisers of the fashion show were widely criticised when some models of the show walked through the church hall, which served as the show’s catwalk, in revealing bikinis during the third of three fashion shows, held on November 3 at the Port-of-Spain church.
Several religious leaders and organisations criticised the show, with some stating that the holy space of the church had been disrespected by the scantily clad models.
The Bishop himself apologised for the incident, which he said “was completely out of order, inappropriate and is strongly condemned. Our church has hosted fashion shows in the past and we have never come to this sad deterioration of respect and modesty.”
Founder of the event Christopher Nathan also apologised to “the Bishop, Dean and parishioners of the Anglican Diocese” for what they deemed to be “gross insensitivity by the new franchise owners of StyleWeek Port-of-Spain.”
Dean and Rector of the church Shelly-Ann Tenia said the church had granted permission for the church to be used for the fashion show, with specific guidelines for designers to follow. Some designers who participated in the event confirmed to the Guardian that these guidelines were indeed communicated by the organisers to them.